The story of Liverdun’s authentic madeleines can be traced back to the early 20th century, when baker Joseph Rouvenacht – ably assisted by his baker’s boy Marcel Chenel – capitalised on the influx of Nancy residents coming to relax on the banks of the Moselle in Liverdun and launched his now-famous biscuits.
The biscuits rose to national fame in 1927 during the Lorraine gastronomy day in Paris. After the war, Marcel’s sons André and Pierre Chenel continued to grow the business, selling the biscuits throughout eastern France.
In 2015, Société Clair de Lorraine took over the baton and vowed to perpetuate the company’s tradition and expertise.
The shop in Liverdun is located opposite the train station on Rue de la Gare.